1) on balance 5) illustrated 9) involved
2) resist 6) budget 10) economic
3) haul 7) lowering 11) blasting
4) wicked 8) boundary 12) just about
1)cut back/ down 2) pick up 3) get by 4) get through
5)face up to 6) turn in 7) making up for 8) think up
1) pursued his mathematical studies and taught himself astronomy
2) often generate misleading thoughts
3) attach great importance to combining theory with practice in our work
4) be suspected of doing everything for money
5) before he gets through life
1) their indoor, a profit, to invest in
2) device, the improvement, on a global scale
3) stacked, temptation, never dined out
II Confusable Words
1. 1) house 2) Home 3) home, family 4) household
2. 1) doubt 2) suspect 3) doubted 4) suspected 5) suspect
III. Word Formation
1) rise 2) final 3) regular 4) cash 5) hows, whys
6) upped 7) yellowed 8) bottled 9) lower 10) search
1) get by 2) temptation 3) get through 4) improvements
5) aside from 6) suspect 7) supplement 8) profit
1) replaced 2) consider 3) quit 4) world 5) tough
6) fuels 7) provide 8) luxuries 9) balance 10) ideal
1. We have a problem with the computer system, but I think it’s fairly minor.
2. My father died when I was too young to live on my own. The people of my hometown took over (responsibility for) my upbringing at that point.
3. The toys have to meet strict/ tough safety requirements before they can be sold to
4. Radio and television have supplemented rather than replaced the newspaper as carriers of news and opinion.
5. When it comes to this magazine, it is/ carries a digest of articles from many newspapers and magazines around the world.
A decade ago, Nancy did what so many Americans dream about. She quit an executive position and opened/ set up a household device store in her neighborhood. People like Nancy made the decision primarily for the improvement in the quality of their lives.
But, to run a small business on a small scale is by no means an easy job. Without her steady income, Nancy had to cut back on her daily expense. Sometimes she did not even have the money to pay the premium for the various kinds of insurance she needed.
Fortunately, through her own hard work, she has now got through the most difficult time. She is determined to continue pursuing her vision of a better life.
1) decades 5) slender 9) on the side
2) historic 6) web 10) authorized
3) imposed 7) bade 11) terminal
4) religious 8) site 12) make the best of
1) went through 2) stood up for 3) laid down 4) take on
5) let (us) down 6) draw on 7) fall into 8) pass for
1) The Europeans are fully confident that the Americans will not be able to justify their measures to protect the struggling American steel industry.
2) Clinton is, in the eyes of Joe Klein, staff writer of the New Yorker and author of The Natural, the most talented politician of his generation and the most compelling.
3) There's not much you can do if people are really intent on destroying themselves with drugs.
4) A different experience of the world could forge a completely different approach to life.
5) It is our conviction that cloning of human beings is bound to cause many ethical and social problems in the long run.
1) As for, do not compel, capture of, have forged
2) At huge risk, the mission, shelter
3) who abolished, In the eyes of, racial
II. Words with Multiple Meanings
1. I'll tell you in a minute how I have attained the genuine sense of belonging in America, but first let me hear about your French trip.
2. Most McDonald's look almost the same on the outside, but actually there are about 16 different basic designs.
3. Loaning money from the banks is but one of the methods we can use to get through a financial crisis.
4. This second-hand car has been nothing but trouble; it's always breaking down.
5. In your resume you've mentioned everything but one vital point.
6. Our technicians have discovered a simple but effective solution to the problem.
7. I am sorry, but I think you shouldn't have lingered on over coffee and missed the last bus..
8. The bankruptcy of the company was not caused by evil, but by simple ignorance
1) lonely 2)friendly 3) weekly, monthly 4)lovely
5) cowardly 6)kindly/ saintly 7) lively 8)motherly
1)forged 2) stand up 3) compelled 4)convictions 5)mission
6)abolish 7) intent on 8) risk 9)in the eyes of 10)threats
1) assistance 2) involved 3) estimated 4)coincidence 5)emerged
6) referred 7) numerous 8) stationed 9)concern 10)capture
1. Though greatly affected by the consequences of the global financial crisis, we are still confident that we can face up to the challenge and overcome the crisis.
2. Under threat of constant sand storms, we were compelled to leave our cherished village and move to the new settlement.
3. According to a recent online survey, a lot of consumers say they may be motivated to consider buying products shown in TV commercials.
4. Having spotted a truck driver dumping contaminated waste alongside the river, the old man reported to the police at once.
5. Some scientists hold to the firm conviction that people will come to like genetically modified crops someday since they can increase yields and help combat hunger and disease in the developing world.
Shortly after he achieved freedom Henson became intent on assisting fugitive slaves. He secretly returned to the United States from Canada several times to help others to travel the Underground Railroad to freedom. Once some slave catchers closed in on the escaping slaves and Henson when they were on the run. He disguised them and successfully avoided capture. Later he built a small settlement in Dresden in Canada for escaped slaves, setting up a chapel and a school. He held to the conviction that slavery would be abolished, and the day was bound to come when racial discrimination no longer existed.
1.1) threatens 2) by a small margin 3)civilize 4)closed up 5)wandered 6) paste 7) without so much as 8) sideways
9) hook up to 10) universal 11) chart 12) Bathed in
2. 1)narrowed down 2)looked back on 3)cut off 4)fit into
5)wear(the other) down 6)lies in 7)put up 8)stand for
3. 1)...which is likely to make people vulnerable to asthma has been found by researchers at the Department of Clinical Medicine in Oxford.
2)...with mirrored doors had to be built in so as to make their small bedroom look larger.
3)...feature the space shuttle Challenger blowing up in January 1986---killing all seven crew.
4)...threatened to keep the pupils in after school, they were quieted at once.
5)... are a major barrier to the country's economic growth due to the fact that/because imported oil has absorbed 40% of its foreign exchange.
4. 1) looked back on/ atmosphere/urban life
2)era/ hooked up to the / the electronic
3) the suburb / a sophisticated / system / analyze / make errors
II. 1) away 2)inside/in 3)forward/through 4)back
5)off 6)home 7) back down 8)in...out
III. 1) Internet is not such an unusual word as it used to be
2) Most men do not look unattractive in them
3) Wealthy as she is, she is not unconcerned by her sudden unemployment
4) The claim is not unrealistic in view of a sharp decrease in the city's violent crimes.
5)His poor health is not unrelated to his unhealthy way of life.
1. 1) Statistics 2)rural 3)era 4)stood for 5)on the latch
6)vulnerable 7)barrier 8)electronic 9)reflection 10)civilized
2. 1) together 2)liable 3)shift 4)electric 5)cautious
6)sophisticated 7)thieves 8)break 9)chances 10)signs
1.1) The Internet is changing the way people live, (no matter) whether they are in urban or rural areas.
2)Medium-sized and small companies are more vulnerable to the threat of the global economic crisis than large ones.
3) With regard to our term paper, the professor asked us to analyze the unemployment chart first, and then provide critical reflections on the nations economic development.
4)It never occurred to him that their team would win the basketball match by a large margin.
5) Looking back on my twenty years' teaching in high school, I attribute my success to patience, talent, and the constant pursuit of knowledge.
2. It is almost impossible to keep a determined burglar out. All you can do is discourage him for a few minutes. Thus exposing him to police patrols. Common sense tells us that lighting is a barrier to criminal activity. A light should be fixed in the doorway and switched on at night. Make sure/Assure yourself that you don't leave the door on the latch if you happen to be the last to come in. If you decide to buy a sophisticated electronic alarm system, be sure to ask for its signs and put them up on both windows and doors. In addition you may have it hooked up to a police station.
1.1) accordingly 2) loose 3) concentration 4)stimulating 5) fabric 6)if anything 7) reality 8) intuition
9) trifle 10) at the turn of the century 11) mess
2. 1) approve of 2) slow down 3) taken in 4) sucked into
5) set apart 6) dozed off 7)call forth 8)stretch into
9) keep up with 10)believe in
3. 1)...provided inspiration for many artists and musicians over the decades.
2)...is credited to his powers of imagination