1. I hope my teacher will take my recent illness into ________ when judging my examination.
A) regard B) counting C) account D) observation
2. Important people don’t often have much free time as their work ________ all their time.
A) takes away B) takes over C) takes up D) takes in
3. When I was very young, I was terribly frightened of school, but I soon ________ it.
A) got off B) got across C) got away D) got over
4. Many people complain of the rapid ________ of modern life.
A) rate B) speed C) pace D) growth
5. American women were ________ the right to vote until 1920 after many years of hard struggle.
A) ignored B) neglected C) refused D) denied
6. I always ________ what I have said.
A) get to B) hold to C) lead to D) see to
7. He was ________ of having asked such a silly question.
A) sorry B) guilty C) ashamed D) miserable
8. The last time we had a family reunion was ________ my brother’s wedding ceremony four years ago.
A) in B) at C) during D) over
9. _______ the advances of science, the discomforts of old age will no doubt always be with us.
A) As for B) Besides C) Except D) Despite
10. I can’t understand how you ________ these unpleasant surroundings.
A) put out B) put down C) put up with D) put forward
11. I am ________ of your stupid conversation.
A) annoyed B) worried C) angry D) tired
12. They are building the dam in ________ with another firm.
A) comparison B) association C) touch D) tune
13. To be sure, some insects can build complex societies ________ different types of individuals performing different tasks.
A) taken from B) made of C) composed of D) developed from
14. The students will put off the outing until next week, ________ they won’t be so busy.
A) when B) as C) since D) while
15. If you do not fasten your safety belt, your chances of being ________ will be greater.
A) beaten B) hurt C) damaged D) stricken
1-5 CCDCD 6-10 BCBCC 11-15 DBCAB
1. His understanding made a deep impression ________ the young girl.
A) in B) on C) for D) to
2. They have been trying to arrive at a practical solution ________ the problem.
A) in B) to C) on D) with
3. In many American families, parents feel that children should make important decisions ____.
A) to themselves B) on themselves C) of themselves D) by themselves
4. A good friend is one who will ________ you when you are in trouble.
A) stand for B) stand by C) stand up to D) stand up with
5. The speaker ________ his notes before the lecture.
A) ran down B) ran into C) ran out D) ran over
6. I find this treatment very ________ to my health.
A) advisable B) invaluable C) beneficial D) worthy
7. Don’t have him for a friend. He’s ________ a criminal.
A) anything but B) but for C) rather than D) nothing but
8. As a ________ president, his views are treated with respect when he is interviewed.
A) prior B) previous C) late D) former
9. The supply of electric power to Madrid and neighboring districts has had to be ________.
A) weakened B) omitted C) restricted D) lowered
10. Is it advisable to ________ our body to the sunlight.
A) reveal B) display C) expose D) show
11. ________ the punishment was unjust. Helen accepted it without complaint.
A) However B) So long as C) Even though D) Since
12. It is not difficult to ________ the idea that machines may communicate information to us.
A) admit B) receive C) accept D) convince
13. I have not the least ________ of hurting your feelings.
A) concept B) intention C) mind D) purpose
14. As the shortage of certain metals approaches, others must be found to take their ________.
A) share B) place C) role D) shape
15. Mary is in bed with a fever and she can’t hope to ________ the cold in a few day.
A) get over B) get away C) get off D) get out
1-5 BBDBD 6-10 CDDCC 11-15 CCBBA