Being Great by Doing Small Things
There is no doubt that many people want to be great and successful, but only a few can climb to the top and be admired by the world. However, it doesn’t mean that most of us are losers. Actually everyone can achieve high by doing small things in a great way.
We have to admit that there are something that we cannot accomplish right now, but it isn’t the excuse for us to stop trying. Being great needs time and patience, so only when all small accomplishments add up can many impossibilities gradually turn to possibilities. At least, one won’t regret for not making effort to achieve the goal. For example, one may doesn’t have the resources or training on how to be a world-class musician, but by constant practice of every short piece of music, he can still bring happiness, comfort and inspiration to his family members and friends, then this person is great in the eyes of the audiences.
Therefore, never cease the pace on the road to our dreams. As long as we stick to our goal and be serious to whatever related to it, we can be considered as great.
本题由谚语 “If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way.” 引出话题，探讨成就与大事和小事之间的关系，对“大”与“小”进行辨证理解。话题与往年出现的成功、大事小事、积累、坚持等都有关联。本题难度较大，从日常学习上升到成就与感悟，需要考生在平日多进行批判思考，才能在考场上有话可写。
第一段：首先从对成功的渴望做铺垫(There is no doubt that many people want to be great and successful)接着转折说不是所有都能达到预期，最后点明下文论述重点：每个人都能从做小事变为大人物(everyone can achieve high by doing small things in a great way)
观点一：成功需要小事的长时间积累 (only when all small accomplishments add up can many impossibilities gradually turn to possibilities);观点二：把小事做好不会让自己有遗憾(one won’t regret for not making effort to achieve the goal);最后再加例子证明：小事做好就是成功(then this person is great in the eyes of the audiences)。
1. C. Attend the concert.
2. D. None of the passengers were injured or killed.
3. A. An article about the election.
4. A. The restaurant was not up to the speaker’s expectations.
5. C. He has many things to deal with right now.
6. D. More students have to appear to make their voice heard.
7. B. The speakers like watching TV very much.
8. D. The woman will be able to attend the classes she wants.
9. C) Export bikes to foreign markets.
10. B) The government has control over bicycle imports.
11. A) Extra costs might eat up their profits abroad.
12. C) Conduct a feasibility study.
13. B) Anything that can be used to produce power.
14. D) Oil production will begin to decline worldwide by 2025.
15. B) Start developing alternative fuels.
16. A) The ability to predict fashion trend.
17. D) Purchasing handicrafts from all over the world.
18. B) She is doing what she enjoys doing.
19. B) Get involved in his community.
20. A) Deterioration in the quality of life.
21. D) They are too big for individual efforts.
22. C) He had done a small deed of kindness.